The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) seeks a dynamic individual to fill the role of Program Officer as a core member of the Food Security and Rural Well-Being team to drive forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation. The individual will actively engage in and provide leadership on policy advocacy for adaptation in food systems and provide technical, content-focused support to advance GCA’s overall policy and advocacy work. This person is responsible for cultivating and managing relationships with external partners and parties including the AfDB and other partners on the AAAP and supporting the team’s ongoing work around implementation of a digital climate smart agriculture strategy for adaptation. Under the oversight of the Regional Director for Africa and, directly reporting to the Program Lead, the incumbent will carry out the following:
GCA seeks a dynamic individual well versed in the agriculture policy space in Africa, to fill the role of Program Officer Climate Smart Digital Technologies for Agriculture and Food Security. The Individual will work as a core team member to drive forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation action. The primary focus of this work will be in Africa.
The Program Officer Climate Smart Digital Technologies for Agriculture and Food Security will report to the Program Lead while working closely with other members of the Leadership Team, thematic leads and colleagues. S/he will play a key role in positioning the GCA as the foremost international organization specialising in climate change adaptation.
Areas of responsibility:
The areas of responsibility of the Program Officer for Climate Smart Digital Technologies for Agriculture and Food Security (Policy) include:
- Prepare concept notes and reports outlining the role of policy for scaling data-enabled and digital technologies in agriculture value chains
- Provide Technical Support on policy-related issues in the development of AAAP projects and programs
- Supporting the effective management of grantees within the Pillar.
- Engage with AAAP partners on implementation;
- Represent GCA at country, regional, and global policy engagement fora
- Supporting overall program implementation
- Provide advice to countries to facilitate enabling environment for the scaling up of digital and data-enabled adaptation solutions
Events and Logistics Support
- Support in organizing meetings, events and workshops pertaining to the Pillar – from the inception to the closing phases, including providing key research to inform the design of the meeting, administrative support to meeting participants contributing to meeting reports
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned
- A Master’s degree or higher in public policy, economics, development, agriculture or related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in policy related work with at least 3 years in multi-lateral financial institutions or similar large organizations, and performing such roles as project preparing, appraising, supervising or implementing donor funded projects
- Full understanding of the principles of project cycle and project implementation is required for portfolio management.
- Significant experience in policy development
- Familiarity with CGE models.
- Experience working in Africa.
- Familiarity with the AU agriculture policy framework, CAADP.
- A sound grasp of the operation of institutions and environmental law of African countries.
- Experience with facilitating science-policy dialogues and related forums in Africa
- Knowledge of climate smart technologies, weather data services and systems, climate change and adaptation.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
Services GCA offer:
With our global headquarters in Rotterdam on the world’s largest floating office, and regional offices around the globe, the GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. You will have the opportunity to draw upon the substantial expertise available at the GCA and its partner organizations across the world and you will be given an opportunity to support the shaping of international policies and global action on climate change, working at the highest governmental levels and collaborating with governments on all continents.
Subject to Covid-19 pandemic travel restrictions, this staff post will be located either at GCA’s Africa Regional Office in Abidjan, Ivory Coast or in the Head Office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
How to Apply?
Please apply at https://opportunities.gca.org by submitting your CV and cover letter in English before 31 January 2022, 5 pm CET. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start.