TMG Research is a Berlin-based research organisation, with a team in Nairobi, Kenya and research sites in Benin, Burkina Faso, Malawi and South Africa, among others. We work on responsible governance and sustainability issues in land, agricultural and food systems, and address the nexus between sustainable development, climate and energy.
TMG Research is currently recruiting a Research Associate Kenya (m/f/x) (100%) (consultancy contract) to implement our applied research program on inclusive and climate-resilient urban and peri-urban food systems. Cities hold a great potential for food system transformation. Current urbanization trends make cities a focus of food security policies, embedding cities in landscape approaches is key to achieving climate resilience. This new program is also a response to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, as physical distancing measures reduced food access. On-going efforts to mitigate the impact of the pandemic offer the opportunity to contribute to more sustainable and inclusive urban and peri-urban food systems. This project is financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The successful candidate would perform below listed tasks under the supervision of the program lead:
- Implement and coordinate the project’s workstream on Resilient Food, Urban and Peri-urban Agriculture with strong focus on controlled environments such as greenhouses or hydroponic systems and informal food flows. This includes ensuring process and output quality, budget controlling, and reporting, in close collaboration with the project lead
- Plan and conduct research activities, also with partners
- Initiate or further develop our collaboration with science, grassroot movements and other actors in Kenya and South Africa and potentially other countries in Africa
- Write scientific publications, blogs and short positioning pieces, as a leading author, and in close collaboration with other staff on the project and in TMG
- Strategically position TMG and the project in the relevant (policy) debates on urban and peri-urban agriculture through various types of publications and events
- Coordinate, facilitate and lead stakeholder and partner workshops both in Africa and in Europe, in close collaboration with other staff and our partners
- Actively engage in other on-going projects, support project development and the expansion of TMG’s project portfolio
- Contribute to TMG’s outreach activities (social media, website, etc.)
Requirements to apply:
- Master’s degree (or higher) in international development, agriculture, environmental studies, or a related field
- Expertise and a minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the areas of sustainable and inclusive development, food systems, land management/rights, smallholder agriculture, social and digital innovation especially in the global south
- In-depth knowledge on issues of socially-inclusive food security policies, sustainable urban development and transdisciplinary research
- Experienced in writing academic publications as well as blogs and opinion pieces
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English necessary (Swahili and French language skills are an asset)
- Experience (working) in Africa would be a further advantage
- Excellent management and organisational skills
- Ability to work effectively, diplomatically, and sensitively with a wide range of partners from science, policy, and civil society
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- A two-year consultancy contract – ideally starting from March 2022 – with a possibility of extension
- A competitive daily rate
- Work in an applied research organisation with a truly international work programme and the aspiration to enable sustainability transformations
- The opportunity to shape the development of activities aiming to create sustainable, food secure urban landscapes
- A dynamic, diverse and family-friendly working environment
How to apply?
Applications including a cover letter, CV with two references (contact persons) and reference letters as well as links to selected publications (academic and non-academic publications are equally welcome) should be submitted in one PDF document (max. 5 MB) by 31.01.2022.
The cover letter should indicate the daily rate expectations for this consultancy position. Please upload your application online via the application button and refer in your application to the website where the job ad was published. Please note that only short-listed candidates meeting the requirements will be contacted. For details on the application process, please send an email to email@example.com.
The original job announcement is available here!