Digital Agriculture is one of the 20 Priority Programme Areas defined by the FAO Strategic Framework 2022-2031. It plays a critical supportive role for the Regional Initiatives and the Priority Programmes of RAF. The Young Professional Officer will support the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy of RAF, including the Pilot Digital Villages Initiative in Africa.
The Young Professional Officer reports to the Regional Programme Leader and works in close collaboration with the Innovation in Digital Agriculture team in FAO’s Office of Innovation (OIN).
Supports the Digital Innovation Strategy ensuring improved use of sustainable, inclusive digital solutions to deliver agriculture and food system transformation in the Africa region. Effective technical support for the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy of RAF, including the Pilot Digital Villages Initiative (DVI) in Africa.
Research, technical analysis and project-related services to support the delivery of assigned projects, products and services.
• Analyses relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records and updates databases and web pages;
• Provides technical support to various projects;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Provides support for the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy, aiming at better-informed country planning through quality data; better informed digital support for food systems transformation; and inclusive digital agriculture ecosystems;
• Provides support for the implementation of the DVI in seven pilot countries (Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia) and beyond;
• Assists in building awareness and capacity amongst RAF, Subregional Offices and Country Offices staff on data/digital agriculture;
• Assists in the development of concept notes, project documents, training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/webinars, etc.;
• Analyses relevant technical data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records, update databases (e.g. the digital knowledge repository and the FAO digital portfolio relevant for the RAF region) and contributes to the update of project webpages;
• Undertakes and supports monitoring and evaluation of implemented projects and activities;
• Supports resource mobilization efforts for the full launch of the DVI project in Africa and for the Digital Innovation Strategy projects and activities;
• Performs other duties as required
• Advanced university degree in agricultural science, agricultural economics, information and communication technologies for development, food science, political economy and related areas.
• One year of relevant experience in digital agriculture and data management.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in digital agriculture, addressing for example production and pre-harvest losses, advisory services, market linkages, financial services, data management, use of geospatial technologies, blockchain, artificial intelligence, drone use in agriculture, etc.
• Experience with the management of online interactions is considered an asset.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
NB Please note that candidates should be 32 years of age or younger as of 31 December of the year of application.
Application closes on 12/Nov/2021, 5:59:00 PM
For more information and application requirements, click here.