The sector programme Water Policy – Innovation for Resilience (WaPo-RE) is a supraregional project and advises the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on specific interdisciplinary topics which include adaptation to climate change in the water sector, sanitation & hygiene, transboundary) water management and the Water-Energy-Food security (WEF) Nexus. The EU co-funded “Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme” is part of the WaPo-RE programme and supports the institutionalisation of the WEF Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures, and leverages the interest, awareness and engagement of public and private investors for WEF Nexus projects through workshops and demonstration projects. It also operates the Nexus Resource Platform (www.water-energy-food.org), a global knowledge hub for sharing WEF Nexus resources. The programme is implemented in Latin America with the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, in the Middle East and North Africa with the League of Arab States, and in West Africa with the Niger Basin Authority (ABN).
The main responsibilities of the intern will be to support the Nexus team in implementing the Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme on a range of functions, including:
- Assistance with the conceptual development of reports, training materials and tools for the five regions
- Support of international communication activities (including the writing of articles, website content management and social media posts) – in English, and possibly in Spanish and French
- Support to the team by independently researching on various topics within the WEF Nexus topic field
- Support for knowledge management, institutional learning and integration of feedback into processes
- Preparation of materials for presentations at events/ conferences and for other communication activities
- Support for the organisation of meetings, workshops and trainings with a focus on digital formats
The Nexus-Team is looking for a highly proactive and well-organised person, able to work independently and in a team as well as under pressure.
- You should have obtained at least a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geography, economics, politics, social sciences, communications or any other subject relevant to the topic of the internship
- You have gained knowledge and practical experience in the field of sustainable resource management and policy and in at least one core topic (water, energy and/or agriculture)
- You have gained practical experience in the field of communication and you are passionate about using social media and other communication tools and channels to reach different target audiences
- You have gained initial experience in the field of development cooperation (internships and/or volunteer work); experience in communications is an asset
- You have very good oral and written communication skills (English), and you are confident in writing texts and articles, and in preparing topics conceptually for different target groups (general public, political management level, etc.)
- You are fluent in English; knowledge of Spanish, French and/or German highly desirable
- You have a high level of personal initiative
- Your strengths include initiative, teamwork, and good time management
- You have very good organizational skills and are used to working independently and results-oriented
How to apply:
Please apply via the GIZ online platform, accessible here. The application deadline is August 31, 2021.
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago from the start of your internship.
We pay a monthly stipend of €1.652,- (gross).
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disabilities, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information, please contact Mr Jakob Seidler (email@example.com).