The sector program Water Policy – Innovation for Resilience (WaPo-RE) is a supraregional project and advises the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on shaping German development cooperation in the water sector. It is working on specific topics such as adaptation to climate change, sanitation and wastewater management, (transboundary) water resource management and the water-energy-food security Nexus within the “Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme (NRD)”, which is part of the sector program. The NRD support the institutionalization of the WEF Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures, and leverages the interest, awareness and engagement of public and private investors for WEF Nexus projects with the help of demonstration projects with workshops and the Nexus Resource Platform (www.water-energy-food.org). The program is implemented in Latin America with the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, in the Middle East and North Africa with the League of Arab States, and in West Africa with the Niger Basin Authority (ABN).
Furthermore, the Nexus team is working on a project called Frexus to enhance security and climate resilience in fragile contexts through the WEF Nexus in Mali, Niger, and Tchad.
The main responsibilities of the intern will be to support the implementation of the Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme, especially concerning the Niger Basin region, as well as the Frexus project on a range of functions, including:
- Support of international communication activities
- Conceptual work on WEF Nexus and resource management topics and support of the team by independently researching and writing project documents (French, English, German)
- Maintain an overview of the work produced in the NRD and Frexus, document the produced deliverables and support the team members in the project regions
- Preparation of presentation materials and concept papers
- Support the team in the content and logistical preparation of (virtual) events and workshops
- Knowledge management and monitoring/ evaluation of project achievements
The Nexus-Team is looking for a highly proactive and well-organised person, able to work both independently and in a team, as well as under pressure.
- You should have obtained at least a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geography, economics, politics, social sciences or any other subject relevant to the topic of the internship
- You have gained knowledge and practical experience in the field of sustainable resource management, climate change adaptation, conflict & security or one of the project’s core topics (water, energy and agriculture)
- Ideally, you already have initial experience in the field of development cooperation (internships and/or volunteer work) and/or in developing and emerging countries
- Fluent in English and French; German is desirable
- Very good oral and written communication skills in the above-mentioned languages, confident in writing texts and in preparing topics conceptually for different target groups (general public, political level, etc.)
- Your strengths include initiative, teamwork, and good time management. You have very good organizational skills and are used to working independently and results-oriented
Please apply via the GIZ online platform, accessible here. Application deadline is October 10, 2021.
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago from the start of your internship.
GIZ pays a monthly stipend of €1.652,- (gross).
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information, please contact Mrs. Maria Ana Otilio Rodriguez Gomez Cornejo (firstname.lastname@example.org).