United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research,
postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and the dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit https://unu.edu.
The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE):
UNU-ViE, established in 2007, is one of two Vice-Rectorates and the only one located outside Japan. UNUViE seeks to strengthen the presence of UNU in Europe and supports the worldwide institutional
development of UNU by facilitating collaboration across UNU and the UN and sharing knowledge and expertise through the development of joint activities and projects. In addition to its core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to both UNU-ViE and UNU-EHS. For more information, please visit https://vie.unu.edu/.
The Pan African Cooperation and Educational Technologies (PACET) Program:
The Pan African Cooperation and Educational Technologies (PACET) Program at UNU-ViE aims to
strengthen research, educational, and institutional capacities of UNU-EHS in the global South with a focus on Africa. PACET fosters cooperation between UNU and African institutions in higher education, research, policy, and practice to develop innovative methods and appropriate solutions to address challenges particularly within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Paris Agreement, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and the Agenda 2063 of the African Union: Water-Energy-Food (WEF) in context of Climate Change addresses from a nexus standpoint represents the main research pillar at PACET. Activities and projects on the topic aim at generating new scientific and policy-relevant knowledge to support sustainable socio-economic, environmentally-friendly transformation and increase resilience against climate change in Global South with a focus on Africa. Water in the context of the WEF nexus addresses water-oriented research topics that enable the management of water in a sustainable and integrated manner. The research topics include strategic water use planning and efficiency, reliable water supply for agriculture, transboundary water management, integration of intelligent and smart systems to monitor and collect real-time data on water demand and allocation. Despite overall progress on capacity-building related to climate action at the national level, countries in the global south continue to face institutional, technical, and financial capacity gaps and needs. Institutional capacity-building and Cooperation with the global South represent another important pillar of activities at PACET which are geared among others toward strengthening institutional and individual capacities in southern countries to ensure national ownership in the implementation of the Paris agreement.
- Ph.D. in environmental sciences, natural sciences, of geography.
- A minimum of two (2) years of working experience in a relevant field, preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Proven experience of successful project management in the context of development
- Cooperation/science-policy interface and in coordinating with a broad range of actors;
- Excellent skills in writing applications for research grants;
- Experience in fundraising for research projects from German and international donors
- Ability to negotiate with partners and funding institutions;
- Advanced statistical skills and experience with statistical software packages essential;
- Previous experience in teaching at MSc-level, including the supervision of MSc- and/or Ph.D. theses;
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills with fluency in spoken and written
- English. Additional languages such as German and French, Spanish, or further UN languages are an asset;
- Track-record of representing your organization at international fora with a specific focus on presenting research results to inter-disciplinary audiences;
- Strong network with institutions in research, policy, and educational in the global South particularly Africa
- Strong team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- This position entails a high degree of travel
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at the P-2 level commensurate to the level of experience and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common System, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance program, education grant, removal expenses, and home leave.
For more information about United Nations salary and entitlement/benefits, please visit;
UNU Rector reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate at a lower level than advertise.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full time fixed-term appointment and an internationally recruited post. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of fixed-term appointments shall not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years old.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
as soon as possible
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form
- full contact information of three referees; and the application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2021/UNU/ViE/FTA/AAO/PACET/00151526)
Click here to download the complete vacancy announcement.