Interested early career researchers from francophone and anglophone Africa are now invited to submit their application through this form. The deadline for applications is 17 August 2020, successful applicants will be notified by 27 August 2020.
Future Earth is pleased to launch a call for applications for the virtual capacity building workshop on 9 & 10 September 2020, which will support Early Career Researchers (ECRs) from Africa to join consortium proposals for the Belmont Forum Collaborative Research Action (CRA) on Transdisciplinary Research for Pathways to Sustainability. The event is organized by Future Earth in collaboration with the Future Earth Office for Southern Africa (FEROSA), the Program for Early-stage Grants Advancing Sustainability Science (PEGASuS), the National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF), the African Future Earth Committee (AFEC), and the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD).
This event will mobilize capacities by 1) improving the participants’ understanding of the functioning of Belmont Forum CRAs, 2) offering training in storytelling and strategic communication for impactful research, and 3) creating networking opportunities among early career researchers and senior scientists. This is an opportunity for ECRs from Africa to present and promote their research in order to create collaborations with senior researchers, potentially leading to building a joint consortium. A part of the sessions will be rolled out in French and English to accommodate both anglophone and francophone participants.
All early career researchers who are based in an African country and hold the nationality of an African country are welcome to apply. Future Earth defines early career as any professional who is currently in the first ten years after obtaining their Master’s degree or in the first six years after obtaining their PhD.
Please note that we particularly encourage ECRs from francophone Africa to apply to the workshop.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- You are currently affiliated with an organisation, a university, a think tank, a company or something similar
- You are in the early stages of your career (see the specification of “early career” above)
- You have gained first experience in research, ideally with one or several first publications
- You are working on a topic related to Pathways to Sustainability, and you are doing research on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with an inter- or transdisciplinary perspective
- You are highly motivated to apply to the Belmont Forum Pathways CRA and become a member of an international consortium
- Your level of English is sufficient to actively join scientific dicussions and write parts of funding proposals (note that the technical sessions of the workshop will be held both in English and French, but the training and networking sessions will be exclusively in English)
- You are permanently based in an African country, and ideally you hold the nationality of an African country
You can submit your application, including your CV, through this form. The CV should not exceed two pages.
The application deadline is 17 August 2020.
The virtual workshop is part of Future Earth’s financial and in-kind contributions to the Belmont Forum CRA on Transdisciplinary Research for Pathways to Sustainability, and it is part of our Global Systemic Challenge on Science-Based Pathways for Sustainability.
For more information on the virtual workshop, please access this document.
If you have any questions, you can contact email@example.com.
©2020 Future Earth – Hannah Moersberger, Mariela Antonakopoulou