UNU-FLORES is currently accepting applications for a Student Assistant (research) position focused on addressing sustainable development from a WEF nexus approach.
Applications due by June 30th 2020
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognised as a major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing, in particular, the needs of developing and emerging countries. The Institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany. For more information, please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES, and the direct supervision of the Senior Research Associate, the successful candidate will support with the following tasks:
- conduct data collection, processing, and analysis
- support with the management of data accuracy of research projects
- assist with the preparation of research reports and project documents
- assist with the research, academic, and capacity development activities of the Senior Research Associate
- perform other duties as assigned by the Director and the supervisor
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Required qualifications and experience include:
- currently enrolled in a Master’s degree or equivalent in one of the following fields: environmental sciences, soil science, hydrology, natural resources, land-use management, or a related field
- must have proven knowledge with ArcGIS application and process of climate and land-use data
- proven knowledge and application of programming with R or Python is desirable
- experience of hydrological modelling would be highly advantageous
- demonstrated skills of meta-analysis or statistical analysis
- must have the desire to learn new skills
- be results-oriented with strong planning and organisation skills, time management skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently
- strong knowledge and experience working with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- proficiency in both oral and written communication in English and German
- must be flexible with the ability to establish priorities and work within prescribed timelines
- good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
The remuneration for this assignment is 10.00 euro per hour.
DURATION OF CONTRACT
This is part-time employment (15 hours per week) for a duration of 10 months.
The successful candidate will be employed under a consultant contract (CTC) based in Dresden, Germany and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
as soon as possible
For more information and to apply click here