Student Assistant — Dresden Nexus Conference
Deadline: March 30, 2020
The Dresden Nexus Conference
The third edition of the Dresden Nexus Conference (DNC2020) will take place 3–5 June 2020 in the heart of Saxony. DNC is a one-of-a-kind event, bringing together actors from academia, civil society, industry, and government from all over the world to discuss the sustainable management of environmental resources.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES, and the direct supervision of the Dresden Nexus Conference (DNC) Coordinator, the successful candidate will contribute to the DNC 2020 and other events by supporting in the following tasks:
- assist with administrative and logistical activities related to the organisation of the DNC
- assist with the management of participants
- support with the development and execution of the scientific and social programme, including but not limited to supporting coordination and management of programme stakeholders, the timely collection of their inputs, and other related tasks
- assist in maintaining content on the DNC website
- support with the drafting and editing of communication materials related to the DNC
- maintain a record of events and activities for reporting purposes
- support the preparation of documents for internal/external upcoming DNC meetings and events
- manage independent projects based on the activities and needs of the conference organisers
- support with post-conference management including follow-up with participants, and the post-event analysis of data for the production of an internal summary report and debrief paper
- perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor and the Director
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- currently enrolled and in the final year of a bachelor’s degree, or enrolled in a master’s degree or equivalent in one of the following fields: communication sciences, social sciences, journalism, public relations, international relations, environmental sciences, political sciences, or a related field
- be results orientated with strong planning and organisation skills, time management skills, and with the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently
- strong knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- proficiency in both oral and written communication in English
- must be flexible with the ability to establish priorities and work within prescribed timelines
- good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Desirable qualifications and experience
Desirable qualifications and experience include:
- experience with event management is highly desirable
- proficiency in German is highly desirable
- knowledge of additional languages would be advantageous
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
The remuneration for this assignment is 10.00 euro per hour.
Duration of contract
This position is being offered as part-time (10-20 hours per week) employment for a duration of 3-4 months. The successful candidate must be available during the DNC2020 which is calendar week 23, 01-05 June 2020.
The successful candidate will be employed under a consultant (CTC) contract based in Dresden, Germany and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.