- This event has passed.
Disaster resilience and risk in the context on Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Insights from Africa
September 14, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
This is the first session of the 2nd Round of Webinar on Water-Energy-Food Nexus. It focuses on NEXUS SOLUTIONS.
This session #1 covers the disasters such as droughts, floods, fires, pests, and diseases that expose millions of people in Africa to food, water, and energy insecurity that have been exacerbated by climate change. Disasters create huge humanitarian needs with impacts on household livelihoods and hamper long-term investments. All this is intensified by inadequate information to enable risk-informed decisions. This seminar discusses different approaches across Africa to prevent, mitigate and address disaster risk and resilience, specifically through a water-energy-food nexus lens with solutions in mind.
Registration is required. Click here now.
1. Introduction by Michael Jacobson, Penn State University.
2. “Examples of the water-energy-food nexus as they appear in different regions across Africa and the multiple ways in which the nexus is manifested” by Arthur Chapman, University of Stellenbosch.
3. “Rainwater Harvesting for Water Security in Uganda” by Francesca O’Hanlon, postdoctoral researcher/CEO Blue Tap
4. “Household energy-related risk issues, fire risk, and resilience among low-income settlements in Cape Town South Africa” by Alberto Francioli, Stellenbosch University
5. “Nexus- DR3 linkages on a new mission for governance to achieve SDGs” by Catalina Spataru, University College London
6. Open discussion
To get information on the remaining webinar sessions, click here!
This webinar series is supported by the regional project, “Implementing the 2030 Agenda for Water Efficiency/Productivity and Water Sustainability in NENA countries” (WEPS-NENA) under the FAO-led Regional Water Scarcity Initiative (WSI).
For more information about the Water-Energy-Food Nexus 2nd Round Webinar series organizations, please link to WEF Nexus in Africa
Initiative (wefnexus.org), WE4F (https://we4f.org), GIZ Nexus Dialogues(https://www.water-energy-food.org/resources/fact-sheetnexus-regional-dialogues-programme-phase-ii), and SEI (https://www.sei.org).